Monday, July 7, 2008

The Alpha State



“Art, who comprehends her?
With whom can one consult concerning this great goddess?”
- Ludwig Van Beethoven –

This painting was done with a Japanese colour palette suggested by Milt Kobayashi, another of my great teachers. The title is "La Belle Epoche" and measures 24" x 18".

Sometimes while painting, I wish for someone to come and rescue me….a Muse, a Great Master, especially when it’s not going so great. What to do? Leave the painting for a few days turned to the wall. When you come back, it will be with “fresh eyes”.

Here is a very appropriate quote from J.Krishnamurti, philosophical and spiritual writer.: “you are the teacher and you are the pupil”.

When I am in my studio painting, I am alone with myself, listening to music, and it almost doesn’t matter what I am painting. It is the alpha state that I go into. What is the Alpha State? I did a search on the internet and found these answers:

The Alpha state is a state of being which:

Calms your body and mind while it maintains alertness.

Stimulates imagination, intuition and higher awareness

Creates detachment from the outcome and increases accuracy

Improves mental processes, concentration on clarity of thinking, decision making, memory

Frees up more of your potential, and helps you achieve the goals in your life

When I am in the studio painting, there are lots of people in there with me. My teachers, friends, the old masters, new masters, other artists who are my peers, and so on. If I am really painting in the Alpha state, and I am in a state of creativity, they all disappear for the moment, and come and go throughout my time of painting.

In order to get to the right frame of mind for painting and creativity, I try to clear my mind of clutter and try to relax so that my mind will be calm and receptive to the music and to whatever it is I am trying to say in my painting.

One of my great teachers and friend is
Harley Brown, Pastellist par excellence. Here are some tips from Harley while painting.

Try and schedule your painting time with no disturbances
Take the phone off the hook
Have your art materials clean and orderly
Keep your brushes clean.
Squeeze out more paint than you think you will need
Make sure your lighting is state of the art.
Prepare all reference matter before you start to paint
Your studio is your oasis and sanctuary. Let everyone know it, including family members.

A good tip from me is:
If you can do it, before painting, try and go for a brisk walk, or turn on some disco or salsa music and dance by yourself .

5 comments:

Carmi Cimicata said...

I am so glad you joined the blogger world!

Sharilyn Miller said...

What a beautiful post, Carole!
Your painting is so exquisite, it leaves me breathless.
And thank you for taking the time to write such a meaningful message to go along with your painting. I take to heart everything you say about art, and it is wonderful to see you sharing your amazing gift with the world. I'm inspired!
Cheers,
Sharilyn

me again said...

Yes, welcome to the blogging world! I am fairly new to it myself, but it is inspiring and uplifting. Your art is also both inspiring and uplifting. And so is the advice in your post. What resonates to me is, "Your studio is your oasis and sanctuary. Let everyone know it, including family members." That is so, so true -- and so important for those of us lucky enough to have our own private space to remember to cherish it! I look forward to keeping up with your blog.
--Lennnie

Anonymous said...

so great to see your work and have you out there in the blogging world. we miss your fabulous workshops tremendously.

i'll have to visit arizona one of these days just to visit with YOU!

Carole Segal said...

Harley Brown e-mailed this comment to me!

Wonderful and from the heart, Carole!
My congratulations to you. You have a great sense of what is right.
Marvelous quotes and thoughts from you and your artist friends. I very much mean that.
I think people will be visiting with you to see what you will show and say.
I really do miss my friends there. We had big time fun and inspiration. One of my best times ever.
Okay, I'm alreay a fan of your new project.
big hugs from ole Harley