Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Memories

I wasn't planning to do a new posting today, but after seeing the comments which my last posting produced, I decided that I would like to share something about my former teaching studio, and my good friend
Carmi Cimicata.

After many wonderful years of hosting workshops, I had decided to close my Montreal teaching studio. The adventures and excitement of operating such a studio can hardly be conveyed. Those years were an especially satisfying part of my life, and I enjoyed sharing much of this with Carmi, and many others who came and participated in these workshops. People like Claudine Hellmuth, Gail Rieke, Sharilyn Miller,
Anne Bagby and many more too numerous to mention at this time, were some of the very talented artists who came to instruct and share their talent and skills.

Through the years, I came to know Carmi through the experiences of the workshops and her times spent in Montreal. We went junking together, even New York City several times, to visit international artist Patricia Nix at her fabulous home in the Murray Hill district. Another time we viewed an opening of Patricia Nix's assemblage exhibition in a beautiful old church in NYC. We dined (Asian-Fusion) food at an unforgettable restaurant by the name of Tao, decorated with a sixteen foot Buddah. We did have fun.

I watched as Carmi ascended the Art world with her own style of Artwork....watched her succeed creating on her website and blog. It made me very proud to know that somehow I had played a part in her development as an artist. I am proud of the countless art sessions and workshops we had worked at, creating an important presence on the Canadian and American art scenes - all while having a great time.

So, it was with great reluctance that I made the decision to retire from teaching and hosting workshops. I am dedicating this posting with a fondness and appreciation to all the teachers and students who graced my studio.

I still receive phone calls and e-mail from former students and artists who ask....what are you doing with all that time on your hands....well, here are the answers....I paint a lot in oils, mixed media, love shopping for junk, and creating assemblage as well. I have started traveling with my hubby, this summer we will do a Mediterranean cruise starting from Barcelona visiting, France, Italy, Greece and Turkey (Istanbul) and ending in Venice (my favourite Italian city)....that should prove very inspirational for me. I also do some gardening and play with my puppy Shirley ( who is the boss in my house).

I will be attending a workshop with Robert Burridge in Vermont, at the Hampton Inn Colchester, which will be hosted by the Holbein Paint Company. I will be looking over the surroundings to see if such an event will be feasible in Montreal. If so, hopefully we can persuade Carmi to instruct a very eclectic workshop for us.



4 comments:

Erin Glee said...

Yes, I second the motion to nominate Carmi as an eclectic workshop instructor! I don't know her personally, but I love her blog and feel she would be amazing to work with.

Carole, the painting you have posted are so fine... I'll be back to see what else you to talk about and show us. Welcome to Blogdom!

Carmi Cimicata said...

As you know,
I can never say no to Dame Segal!
Love Always
Carmi

Susan Williamson said...

Congrats on your new blog Carole. Your paintings are absolutely gorgeous!

nancy said...

Carole, I love your blog, your alpha state really speaks to me. I look forward to reading more and enjoying your artwork.
Good luck in your "retirement"
Nancy